This is a carbon copy of tennet:19024.
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
– Project Research Fellow on Annual Salary System (Stellar Evolution in Early Universe) (Division of Science) –
1. Job Title:
Project Research Staff (Postdoctoral Fellow), one position
2. Division and Location:
Division of Science, NAOJ, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
3. Area of Expertise:
astronomy and/or related fields
4. Job Description:
The Division of Science was established in April 2019 as a new division of NAOJ. It aims to develop new fields of growth in natural sciences for further advancement of astronomy by leveraging strategies. We invite applications for a project research staff (postdoc) who will conduct research on stellar evolution and their consequence in the early universe mainly with Dr. Takashi Moriya, Dr. Masami Ouchi, and Dr. Tomoya Takiwaki at Division of Science. A successful candidate is expected to work on stellar evolution with a focus on low-metallicity multiple systems and quantify their effects on highly ionized elements observed at high redshifts, reionization, formation of double compact binary systems, and supernovae in the early universe. The successful candidate is expected to work together with theorists and observers at Division of Science by modeling stellar evolution and comparing the models with major observational results.
5. Term of Appointment:
(1) The successful candidate is expected to start the job on April 1, 2021 or as early as possible after April 1, 2021.
(2) The term of employment will be three years after the appointment starts. If the successful candidate had been employed as an NINS employee after April 1, 2013, the term will be set so that the total accumulated period of employment does not exceed ten years. Any researcher who has been employed as a NAOJ Project Research Fellow for a total of five or more years is not eligible to apply for this position.
6. Minimum Educational Requirement:
The applicant must have a PhD degree or is expected to have it by the starting date.
7. Closing Date for Application:
17:00, November 20, 2020 (Japan Standard Time)
8. Required Application Materials: (*To be prepared in English)
(1) Curriculum vitae,
(2) List of publications (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers and provide individual citation counts from ADS),
(3) Summary of past research activities,
(4) Outline of research plans,
(5) Anticipated starting date of the job appointment,
(6) Two reference letters.
Please ask your references to upload the letters directly to the NAOJ job application system shown in 10 before the deadline. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the letters are submitted before the application deadline.
9. Selection Process:
Qualified candidates who will proceed into the final selection may be interviewed by the selection committee either via the internet or in person. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
10. How to Submit an Application:
Applicants are required to apply via the NAOJ job application system on the web: https://jobregister.nao.ac.jp/
Please fill out the form on the web and upload the documents specified on the application form. Applicants should obtain applicant ID and reference IDs in advance. Reference letters should be uploaded by persons who have written the letter for you directly, following the instruction shown on the application form. The application documents should be converted to PDF (max 50MB each, 100MB in total).
If you have any questions related to the job description, contact;
Dr. Takashi Moriya, Division of Science, NAOJ
E-mail: takashi.moriya_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
If you have any question related to the job application system or other items, contact,
E-mail address: JobRegister-contact-10_AT_nao.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Subject of e-mail: “Question on Project Research Staff of Division of Science (Dr. Moriya’s Group), NAOJ”
– The project research staff will be employed under an annual salary system, and will receive a salary proportionate to the pay grades of a national university assistant professor or NAOJ Project Research Fellow (paid monthly in 12 equal payments). Commuting expenses (up to 55,000 JPY per month) will be provided. Bonus and retirement allowances are not provided.
– Eligible for enrollment in social insurance.
– Travel and relocation costs to NAOJ will be covered, subject to the travel regulations of NINS (details must be arranged with the administration office).
– Project research staffs are eligible to apply for the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI).
– Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see https://www2.nao.ac.jp/~open-info/gender-equality/ (currently in Japanese only)
– Smoking is prohibited on the premises excluding designated outdoor smoking areas.
– Information submitted in your application documents will not be used for any purpose other than the selection process and for contacting you with necessary notices in connection with the selection. Once the selection process is complete, we will securely dispose of all application documents and personal information, except for those submitted by the successful candidate.